Saturday, June 4, 2011

Race for the Cure Sandwich

Today, I completed my fourteenth annual Race for the Cure, sandwiched between two longer walks, for a total of 18.6 miles. YAY, ME, if I do say so myself!

I knew that the 5 kilometer distance of the walk would be nowhere near satisfying enough for me, now that I'm in the middle of training for the 3-Day. With that in mind, I set out from Arlington at about 6:30 this morning, just in time for a hazy sunrise.

Heading east on Washington Boulevard, I passed by this historic marker for the Old Ball Family Burial Ground. This is one of the oldest burial grounds in Arlington, dating to 1814, when John Ball, a veteran of the American Revolution, was buried here.
Just before I reached the Key Bridge, I stopped to take a picture of this sign on the Virginia side of the bridge. Isn't it cool that the Race for the Cure gets its own sign?
It was not quite 7:25 when I crossed the bridge, early enough that no boaters were yet out on the water. And even more amazing, there was no line at Georgetown Cupcake . . . yet.
I continued walking east through Georgetown, and into Foggy Bottom, heading southeast on Pennsylvania Avenue, NW. I briefly stopped in front of Treasury to say good morning to Albert Gallatin, then went on my way, bound for the starting line at Constitution and 4th Avenue, NW. I stopped to take a picture of the Washington Monument from 14th Avenue, NW.
As I walked east on Constitution, I passed by this runner. As soon as I saw him, I knew he'd win the race. He was moving along so quickly, on legs that looked to be about four feet long! I later found out that he did win the race, completing the 5 kilometers in 15 minutes and 35 seconds. What an impressive finish! Coincidentally, his last name is Komen, although he is unrelated to Susan G. Komen.
Somewhere along my race toward the starting line, I decided that I'd try to walk with the runners, rather than walk with the walkers. Competitors in Race for the Cure are divided into two groups. My one frustration with the race has been that I can't move quickly enough, because there are so many walkers and the pace is considerably slower than what is comfortable for me. With this in mind, rather than going all the way down to 4th Street, NW, I made a beeline for 7th Street, NW, where I crossed the runners' starting line a few minutes after 8:00.
My strategy proved to work really well: I was able to move much more quickly than I have in past races, walking quickly through the slower runners and crossing the one-mile mark less than fourteen minutes after I crossed the starting line.
Mid-way through my second mile, I passed this group of drummers who were out to cheer us on. I accelerated my pace to match their drumbeats and completed mile two less than fourteen minutes after I'd passed the marker for mile one.
Continuing east along Constitution, I enjoyed watching these cheerleaders and passing the Washington Monument once again. Just look at that gorgeous blue June sky!!
Less than forty-one minutes after I crossed the starting line, I approached the end of the race and stopped to take a few pictures.
I even took this self-portrait, appraching the finish line of the fight against breast cancer. I am 100% confident that we are moving ever closer to the day when breast cancer is gone forever.
Once I finished the race, I spent a few minute walking around the Mall, enjoying the international flags that surrounded the area. And then I walked home, feeling very satisfied at having completed yet another Race for the Cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment