The calendar indicates that it's still spring, but today's weather definitely suggests otherwise. Just in time for the unofficial start of summer, today's heat makes it feel like summer actually has arrived. While the temperature reached "only" the mid-80s, the humidity was in the high 70s, which made it feel very hot indeed.
Consequently, I wasn't feeling too motivated to take a walk, but I decided I had to walk at least some distance today! And by the time all was said and done, I'd covered 11.4 miles. Not too bad for such a hot day. During the early afternoon, I walked down to Georgetown and back, totaling 10.2 miles, and later in the afternoon, I walked 1.3 miles on my way to Catherine's, for a Memorial Day weekend barbeque.
As I began my walk, the sky was sort of cloudy, with the bluish-grayish hazy look that often characterizes summer in Virginia.
And speaking of changes in scenery, one of the two ponds long this section of the trail is now almost entirely covered with algae, which it wasn't just a couple of weeks ago. The pond just across from it, however, is almost algae free.
Shortly before I arrived at the Key Bridge, I stopped to take a picture of this traffic light for bicyclists. Is it okay for me go to, too?
Just before I crossed the Key Bridge, I noticed this new sign. I wonder whether it was put up for Rolling Thunder?
By the time I reached Francis Scott Key Park on the Georgetown side of the bridge, the wind had picked up a bit.
Many people took advantage of the warm weather to enjoy some time floating on the Potomac.
After I crossed the river back into Arlington, I walked by these pretty purple flowers along Wilson Boulevard in Rosslyn.
By the time I arrived back home, the sky was looking more blue than it had a couple of hours earlier.
After cooling off and taking a shower, I headed out again, this time on my way to Catherine's, and I passed the oldest Volvo I've ever seen!
I had a great late afternoon with Catherine. We chatted and enjoyed delicious kabobs which she and Paul had prepared. Yum! Happy Unofficial Summer!











I love your photos and descriptions -- and learning something new about DC -- like the signs. Congrats on walking during the hot weather -- It's tough to motivate when it's that hot outside -- but I guess we just have to get use to it living here.
ReplyDeleteHi Diana, great post as always! BTW I thought I recognized the flower--growing up I was told that was a wild sweet pea. An online gradening site seems to agree with that: http://macgardens.org/?p=385.
ReplyDeleteBelle, you're right! Thanks so much for answering my question--I was puzzled!!
ReplyDelete