Monday, September 6, 2010

Thoughts Slowing Down to Move at Five Miles Per Hour

As much as my heart rules my head (to the point that I got ZERO points for thinking and all points for feeling on the continuum when I took the Myers-Briggs Test [I'm an INFJ, in case you're wondering]), I'm very much a thinking person.

Aside from the obvious, that I'm a nerd (which, by the way, I think is cool now, which I didn't as a 13-year old), this also means that my brain is always, always going, often at what feels like a million miles a minute. I'm convinced that this is why I have such vivid dreams. Even when I want my brain to slow down, I have a hard time getting it to do so.

Until I start walking.

Then, as my feet race along at five miles per hour below me, my brain finally . . .slows . . . down. The day-to-day thoughts and larger picture questions that often crowd my thinking become quiet, and my brain takes the opportunity to slow down from the million miles a minute speed to match the speed of my feet.

I think that's one of the reasons I enjoy walking. I use that time to think through all sorts of things that I might not during the course of my regular day.

Stay tuned . . .I'll share some of my musings, questions, occasional rants, and thoughts over the next several months.

No comments:

Post a Comment