Just over a year ago, I went to get my first mammogram. As with anything in life, there are multiple schools of thought as to when the best time is for a first mammogram. I went on the early side, at 35, but given my mom's history, I felt it was important to get a baseline.
First things first: I show no signs of cancer.
More important, I want to take this opportunity to say: GET A MAMMOGRAM! People say it's painful, but that's all relative. Honestly, it wasn't that bad, and I'll be very frank here and tell you that I had three out of three things counting against me: The less well-endowed you are, the more uncomfortable the mammogram is. The smaller your frame is (overall), the more uncomfortable the mammogram is. The more muscular your chest wall, the more uncomfortable the mammogram is.
And apparently, I have all three! Well, the first two I knew about, but apparently, all of this walking with arms swinging has given me great pecs! Who knew?
Anyway, it really wasn't a big deal. Two pictures are taken of each side, and the first on each side was just sort of annoying, the second on each was a bit painful, but it didn't last for long. As far as I'm concerned, those seconds of discomfort are FAR easier to deal with than the consequences of detecting cancer late.
So please, ladies, when you reach whatever age your doctor recommends, get a mammogram. If you're nervous or have questions, let me know. And if you live close by, I'll even come and hold your hand and we'll go out for pink ice cream afterwards.
That ends this Public Service Announcement.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment