Monday, June 20, 2011

Monday, My Way

Today was my second Monday off as part of my new AWS plan at work, and I enjoyed every minute of it. After my long walk on Saturday, I wasn't sure how far I'd go today, but planned to try for about eight miles or so. As it happened, I ended up covering 15.1 miles, which seems like an accomplishment. First, though, I spent almost two hours working on cross-stitch, drinking a cup of coffee, and watching a couple of old ER episodes on DVD. What indulgence!

Then I got into my walking clothes and hit the road at about 11:15. At that point, the sky was gray and sprinkles were falling down, but I didn't mind because the air was nice and cool, not bad at all for this last day of spring. From the corner of Glebe Road and Washington Boulevard, I headed north, bound for Williamsburg Boulevard, about two miles up the road.

Continuing north on Glebe Road, I passed by some lovely Rose of Sharon, one of my favorite early summer flowers. Perhaps it's no wonder I love these flowers so much; there is actually a Rose of Sharon named after me . . .well not exactly me, but another, more well-known Diana of the mythical kind.
Farther along, after I passed some flowers whose names I don't know, I saw several white crepe myrtles, a flower which will forever remind me of my first day at William & Mary, because that was the first time I ever saw this pretty tree.
After I turned left and began heading southwest on Williamsburg Boulevard (which, by the way, is a very hilly road, perfect training for San Francisco), I saw this gorgeous Japanese maple tree. I love the way the raindrops hang from it.
After passing some hydrangeas and a blooming magnolia tree, I turned left on Sycamore Street, headed south toward Falls Church.
Just about at the Arlington County/Falls Church line, the sun came out from the clouds.
Turning left on Wilson Boulevard, I came upon this little bunny, hanging out not too far from the Febrey-Lothrop House, parts of which date to the mid-1800s.
The building below, located at 6045 Wilson Boulevard, used to be home to the American Nazi Party (the headquarters moved to Wisconsin in the 1980s). In June 1967, shots were fired at George Lincoln Rockwell, the founder of the American Nazi Party, from the roof of this building. Two months later, he was killed by one shot fired at him while driving away from a nearby laundromat.
Leaving this disturbing episode in history behind, I continued east on Wilson Boulevard, passing some pretty orange flowers. Then, I arrived at my destination, the Bon Air Memorial Rose Garden, which has become of one of my favorite haunts in recent weeks. As you can see, the roses and other flowers there were beautiful.
After about 15 minutes exploring the rose garden, I took the Washington & Old Dominion Trail north to its junction with the Custis Trail, crossing Four Mile Run on the way.
Unfortunately, shortly after passing the mile 1.5 marker on the Custis Trail, I had to take an unplanned detour home, to treat a nasty blister which had popped on my right baby toe. Ouch!
Honestly, I probably should have just stayed home, rather than walking the additional five miles I did, because the blister pain (and number) increased significantly as I continued on my way. But I really wanted a sandwich from the Italian Store for lunch, and in case you hadn't noticed, good food is a powerful motivator for me! So, with toes band-aided, I hit the trail once more. While my blue heron friend was still MIA, several turtles were sunning themselves at the green pond. I count seven--how many do you see?
Just after passing mile 2.5 on the Custis Trail, I veered onto Lee Highway, where I bought a delicious sandwich and drink at the Italian Store. Yum! Well worth the trip on blistered feet!!
Heading back along the Custis Trail, I got off at North Quincy Street so that I could go to the store to purchase ingredients for my latest baking project.
Just in time for the arrival of summer: Orange Dreamsicle Cupcakes!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a lot of walking (and the AWS schedule sounds pretty neat actually, though I know it means longer days the rest of the week). Anyway, the blue flowers you have as unidentified towards the top of your post were always called Bachelor Buttons to me...they don't do well once picked, fyi. Sammie grabbed one for Gary on Father's Day and it didn't even make it a day before its color faded out and it closed up for good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I've always wondered what those were. I've heard of Bachelor Buttons before, but never knew what they were! And the AWS schedule is great. I actually already tend to work about 10 hours every day, so I don't even need to change my schedule--now I just get time off. I love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete