Tuesday, September 21, 2010

We Won't Have Many More Days Like This

Today, the last full day of summer 2010, is a glorious day in Virginia. The sun is shining, the sky is blue, the humidity is low, and the temperature is a pleasant 78 degrees. Today is one of those days that makes September in Virginia breathtakingly lovely. Today is one of those days that makes all of those 95+ degree days during June, July, and August worth it.

As I was walking home from the metro this evening, I overheard a man commenting to his colleague on the loveliness of the day, who responded, "We won't have many more days like this."

Gorgeous days like this are fleeting, sandwiched between the long, hot, humid Virginia summers and the unpredictable falls, which go from 80 degrees to 25 degrees and all points in between, sometimes in less than 24 hours.

We won't have many more days like this.

I kept thinking of that sentence as I continued my walk home. What would you endure for one more beautiful late summer day before the chill of fall arrives, followed by the cold of winter? What would you be willing to sacrifice for another day of comfort?

What would you be willing to do to give a breast cancer patient one more day of life? Or better yet, to make the world a place where there were no more cancer-filled days, or lives snuffed out by the disease?

On my first Breast Cancer 3-Day, I saw a woman wearing a shirt with this message, "I would walk 1000 miles for one more day with my mom."

So would I.

Wouldn't you, too?

So I keep walking. Not only in memory of those lost to the disease, but for those who have survived, and for those yet to be diagnosed. As I walk, the hope stays bright in my heart. The hope that we WILL have many more days like this . . .days full of beauty and light and health.

No comments:

Post a Comment